The Steps to Obtaining a K-1 'Fiancé' Visa for Your Loved One

You're a U.S. citizen but you know that something is missing from your life. The problem is that your fiancé is back in your home country and you want them to be at home with you in the U.S., the country you love. Luckily, if you are a citizen and you want to bring your foreign fiancé to the U.S. so that you can get married, you have an opportunity to do so. This can be done through the K-1 nonimmigrant visa, also known as the fiancé visa.

However, as with all visas, there are many requirements that must be met. In order to obtain this visa, you and your fiancé must intend to get married to one another within 90 days of entry into the U.S. You want to ensure that you and your fiancé are not just trying to play the system just for the benefit of getting them access to the U.S., so you must actually have the intention of getting married. If you want to establish your life with a loved one, you can definitely both benefit from this visa.

From there, if your fiancé and you do meet the requirement of getting married within 90 days, your fiancé is permitted to apply for lawful permanent resident status. This means that both you and your fiancé must be legally free to marry. If you or your fiancé are technically married to another party already, although separated, you may run into legal troubles when you want to petition for this specific visa.

The Two-Year Meeting Requirements

One of the best ways to show that you and your fiancé genuinely want to get married and that you have a real, lasting relationship is through showing evidence of such. There is a rigidly enforced way to show this, which is also known as the 'two-year meeting requirement.' Every year, many of these visas are denied because somebody does not meet the two-year requirement. This means that a couple should have met within two years prior to filing the K-1. This is to ensure that a fiancé is not taking advantage of someone just for a visa benefit, or that the couple won't automatically divorce after the wedding. You have to be able to show evidence of meeting two years before getting married to show that the relationship is built to last.

One of the best ways to prepare yourself for this is to gather evidence through events and photographs. Perhaps you keep a photo log online or in photo albums showing that you have both taken vacations together, have taken documentaries, have pictures of you meeting each other's families, and so much more.

Of course, there are many other requirements that have to be met, such as being able to financially support your fiancé when they come to the U.S., and your fiancé meeting certain requirements within the guidelines of USCIS such as not needing to be on welfare or having communicable diseases. Because we care about your case and the results you receive, we want to talk to you as soon as possible if you have questions concerning your fiancé coming with you to the U.S. We want to restore normalcy in your life, so give us a call today at 714-522-1033.


Recent Posts

See All