How can I stay longer in the United States on a student visa?

Previous posts on this blog have talked about how South Koreans who wish to study at one of this country's educational institutions can obtain a student visa in order to do so. The procedure for doing so can be difficult to understand and somewhat complicated.

A related issue to student visas is what a person can do if he or she should need to stay longer in the United States than what the visa allows. Normally, a person has only 60 days to leave the country after his or her studies conclude.

However, this is sometimes unrealistic, particularly if the student who has come here has been attending school for a while and has even brought his or her family over to the United States while he or she completes a course of study. In other cases, it may turn out that a person wants to continue their studies further or engage in some authorized training.

Requesting to extend one's stay is a legal procedure which requires the filing of paperwork. Details of how the process of requesting an extension or whether someone is even eligible for an extension are best answered by a qualified immigration attorney. In general, though, the key is for a visitor to ask for an extension to stay with plenty of time before their authorization to be in the country expires.

Someone who is asking to stay in the country will have to demonstrate certain things. For one, he or she will have to show that they remain authorized to be in the United States and that they have not committed certain crimes or broken the rules they agreed to when they entered the country.

Sky Law Firm


14730 Beach Blvd,

Suite 201

La Mirada, CA 90638

Mon - Fri / 9:00 - 17:00

한국 국기.png




(657) 500-0022

         Social Media

  • Facebook
  • 14bb2b8dac7d9345_256x256
  • unnamed
  • kakaotalk-logo-png-transparent
  • instagram-logo-color-512

Schedule Appointment

©2018 by Sky Law Firm, P.C.

Proudly created by Spicy Tribe.